Saturday, July 11, 2009

Prayers for the Morgans


Many of you have been praying for our friends the Morgans over the past few years.  We are saddened that both Missy & Ryan lost their battles to cancer this week.  Missy passed away on Wednesday evening and Ryan joined her in heaven on Friday afternoon.  We are glad that Missy and Ryan are no longer in any pain but are grieving with Les, Heidi & Will.  Please pray for them during this time - that God would give them a peace that we can't understand, that they would turn to each other & God for comfort, and that their friends/family would surround them with love.  We will be headed to Atlanta next Friday for a combined memorial service on Saturday afternoon.  

When I think about Missy, the image that comes to mind is a cheerleader.  I remember our first lighthouse 5 years ago.  We were the "Red hots" for our beach olympic team and Missy was not about to just do the red-hots cheer and be done with it.  Oh no - she took everyones Lighthouse bandana on the team and dyed them red with food coloring so we could show our spirit!  One day we went down to the beach for olympics and they had spelled Red Hots in the sand!  It was HUGE & had seaweed on top of it so you could have seen it from an airplane!  It was such fun and all Missy's idea.  I also think about how encouraging she was.  Even during the midst of her own struggles, she would take time to write encouraging comments on this blog.  She was so excited when I got pregnant and was so thoughtful - always sending little notes & gifts for Madison Claire.  I will also remember how she grew in her faith. Last summer at the Lighthouse she told me that she had come to accept that she was going to lose Ryan to cancer probably that year and that God was in control. She was an amazing wife, mother & friend...with so much energy and strength.  I will miss her terribly.

When I think about Ryan, the image that comes to mind is him walking down the street at Rosemary Beach from the town hall to the Barbados pool our first summer at the lighthouse.  He had wandered off and we couldn't find him...my parents literally lost him during flip flop time!  We sent out a search crew of volunteers to look for him and I happened to be one of the ones that saw him walking down the street by himself at 6 years of age!  Knowing Ryan as well as I do now, this isn't surprising to me that he would wander off and do his own thing...but it sure freaked us out then!  Ryan loved to make others smile & get into trouble!  I remember the special bond he had with my dad..."Mr. Steve" as he calls him.  That entire week he was either in my dads arms or on his shoulders.  It was so sweet and we all grew so attached to him!  Fast forward a few years and I remember meeting the Morgans at Jillians in Atlanta to have dinner and play games.  Ryan wanted to come back home with us and spend the night with Patrick.  I remember visiting him in the hospital numerous times, especially when he had his brain surgery.  I remember last summer at the Lighthouse him running in front of the stage while Todd Fields was playing - always the center of attention! At the end of that trip, my Ryan gave little Ryan one of his Mr. Clean shirts...it was the one I had bought him in France.  Ryan was so happy!  I remember visiting with them at their house this past Thanksgiving and Ryan asking where "Big Ryan" was.  I will miss his quirkyness and the little smile he gets when he is embarrassed.  I will not forget him.

As I think about how this could happen to one family, I must admit that I just don't understand.   It seems like it is too much to bear.  I am reminded of the Casting Crowns song "Praise you in this storm".  The lyrics are below:

I was sure by now,God, that You would have reached down 
and wiped our tears away, 
stepped in and saved the day. 
But once again, I say amen 
and it's still raining 
as the thunder rolls 
I barely hear You whisper through the rain, 
"I'm with you"
and as Your mercy falls 
I raise my hands and praise 
the God who gives and takes away. 

Chorus: 
And I'll praise you in this storm 
and I will lift my hands 
for You are who You are 
no matter where I am 
and every tear I've cried 
You hold in your hand 
You never left my side 
and though my heart is torn 
I will praise You in this storm 

I remember when I stumbled in the wind 
You heard my cry to You
and raised me up again 
my strength is almost gone how can I carry on 
if I can't find You 
and as the thunder rolls 
I barely hear You whisper through the rain 
"I'm with you"
and as Your mercy falls 
I raise my hands and praise 
the God who gives and takes away 

Chorus 

I lift my eyes onto the hills 
where does my help come from? 
My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth 
I lift my eyes onto the hills 
where does my help come from? 
My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth 

Chorus 


My heart truly is torn but I know that I serve a God that is bigger than all of this.  If you remember, Missy was very sick last Thanksgiving and for all intensive purposes, should have died then.  The Lord saved her - literally a miracle - and gave her 7 more months with her family.  I don't claim to know or understand why things happen the way that they do but I can't help but wonder if the Lord didn't keep her alive so that she could spend the time with her family and die right before Ryan to be there for him when he died...to welcome him to heaven.  Ryan was on so much pain medication when she died that it is hard to know how much he understood or comprehended what was happening...I think this is a blessing because he wasn't able to be afraid.  Les said on their blog that Missy is holding one of her babies and I believe with all of my heart that this is true.  She is holding Ryan in heaven and they are in no more pain.  

We are thankful to God & the Lighthouse for bringing our families together and grieve with Les, Heidi and Will as they navigate the coming weeks, months & years.  Lord - grant them peace.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

And this is why i haven't called you in the last 24 hours b/c i knew i would be basket case as soon as i heard your voice. And here i read your words and i am no better...just sobbing on the couch. Lord, may we embrace the opportunities we have each day to love our family, our children, our spouse, to claim you as our Lord and Savior EACH and every day, proclaiming our faith with the innocence of little children. Lift up Les, Heidi, Will, and their family as they grieve and draw them to yourself. Give them peace.