Sunday, September 12, 2010

Peanut allergy - RUH RO!



After such a great afternoon with Madison Claire, we finished off with dinner. I had asked our doctor at the game on Friday night if I could give her some peanut butter because she had eaten a bite of Keatyn's at the Ft. Campbell game and didn't have any reaction. He said it would be okay so I made a little peanut butter sandwich and cut it into small pieces. She ate one piece...which she didn't even fully eat, she just sucked on it for a minute and then spit it out. I assumed she didn't like peanut butter so didn't give her anymore. Well, not 5 minutes later her sweet little face started breaking out in hives. At first they just looked like little bug bites and since we had been playing outside, I thought that was what it was. Then, as time passed, they got bigger and bigger and redder and redder. Poor little thing :(.

Ryan was at football practice so I called our Dr. on his cell phone (the first time I've ever done that) and asked if I had any Children's benadryl. I didn't have any so he told me I needed to IMMEDIATELY get in my car and go get some. Keep in mind that we had just been playing outside with the Nemo Slide so I'm still in my bathing suit! I threw on some clothes and put her in the car and went to CVS. Of course there was no cashier up at the front so I just opened the box and gave her that benadryl sitting right there on the counter at the cash register!

I was still trying to reach Ryan because Dr. Heil had said that if her mouth or tongue started swelling I needed to take her to the ER. Well, she had taken a bad fall over the weekend while with the McSwains so her mouth and lips were already swollen to the max. It was so scary because I couldn't tell if they were swelling more and if the swelling was from the fall or from the peanut butter. I had called every coach on the football team to try to reach Ryan and he finally called me back as I was pulling out of CVS. *Note - he was calling me to ask me to DVR the Boise State game, not because he knew I was in a crisis with Madison Claire! As soon as I answered I just started crying and told him I had been trying to reach him and explained what happened and told him I was driving to CPA so he could look at her.

Once we made it CPA, Ryan thought she looked okay (the benadryl had kicked in by then and she looked a lot better!) but recommended we take her to our good friends the Mowery's to have Dr. Greg look at her. Greg is an ENT physician and he came out to the rescue, looked in her mouth with his little light and reassured us that the swelling appeared to be from the fall and not from the peanut butter. Crisis adverted!

Following doctors orders, I did check on her every hour until about midnight to make sure she was breathing okay and give her another dose of benadryl. So - it seems that a trip to the allergist is in order, but we are going to wait until her 18 month appointment next month before we go. In the meantime - NO PEANUTS for Madison Claire!


No comments: