Friday, May 4, 2012

Atlanta trip

Back in October, Airtran was running a special on flights from Memphis to Atlanta for $39 each way. Crazy!! Madison Claire has been obsessed with airplanes for the past year, so I thought that it would be fun to take her on a flight to Atlanta. In my mind, it would be just the 2 of us but I’m still breastfeeding the buddy and didn’t have enough milk to be away from him for a week (and let’s face it – everyone would be sad if I didn’t have the buddy with me) so we struck out just the 3 of us to head to Atlanta for moms birthday in early February. I was really excited about the trip and didn’t get nervous about having both kids by myself until a few days before the flight. At that point I started thinking – “I’m crazy. Why am I doing this?”

Ryan dropped us off at the airport and I was armed with enough milk and snacks to keep the kids happy for the 60 minute flight. I decided that I would just feed them for the whole hour if I had to! Fortunately for me, they were on their best behavior! Madison Claire was amazing – such a big girl, great helper, and loved being on the plane. Mac was his normal self and charmed everyone on the plane. He didn’t make a peep the whole time unless he was laughing. Praise the Lord!

Madison Claire and Bear Bear
Buddy was very fascinted with the seatback pocket

We made it to Atlanta and I somehow managed to get through the Atlanta airport with both of them and reach my parents at baggage claim. It was quite the adventure! While we were at the airport waiting for our bags, there were several military men and women checking in to deploy overseas. There was a boy scout troop there waving American flags and saying over and over “Thank you from Troop 32”. It was so sweet and heart warming.

The biggest obstacle of the day came when we made it out to the car and realized that while my parents had a car seat for Madison Claire and the base for Mac, they had left the actual car seat for Mac at home. Mom knew that we needed it, but dad thought we were bringing the actual car seat from Memphis and of course dad packed the car. So, there we were, with no car seat for the buddy! I ended up taking Marta with buddy while Mom, Dad & Madison Claire rode to the house, picked up the car seat and then came and picked me up at the Marta station closest to my house. It was quite the interesting experience. There were a few times where I got a little nervous because the train was really crowded and so I just held onto buddy a little tighter.

On the MARTA train
We finally made it to the house and it was smooth sailing from there! We celebrated mom’s birthday at Ippolitos, watched the super bowl and had fun spending time with Mom, Dad, Ryan, Sarah & Jacob. We had fun playing in the park - it was Mac's first time in a swing...and he loved it!!  We had fun taking Madison Claire to the mall.  We went shopping, rode the carsouel, and had a blast!

Swinging!!

Buddy swinging for the first time
Our little Diva.  She picked this out all by herself :)
Madison Claire in her new "Rapunzel" bathing suit

Madison Claire dancing to the Superbowl halftime show


Madison Claire giving her "Princess dolls" a bath...too cute!  You will hear her compare them to Rapunzel.



Madison Claire playing on the bed

Mom made the trip back to Memphis with me, so I was thankful to have the extra hands on our flight back. Madison Claire was more whiney on that flight than she was on the first one. Our return flight fell right during the middle of her naptime and I think having Mimi there made her a little extra whiney. Mac was great again and I left the flight feeling like he would be a good politician because he is such a winner of people.


No comments: