We left Nashville at 5:45am on Saturday morning headed to Middlesboro, KY for my Mama Lambdin's funeral. The funeral was at 11am Central and we gave ourselves a one hour buffer to get there on time. Wouldn't you know, we weren't 45 minutes outside of Nashville when our tire completely exploded on the interstate! I'm not talking about a flat tire, I'm talking about - there was almost NO tire left!! See evidence below:








I was driving and did a good job of getting the car to the side of the road if I do say so myself! I was going about 75-80 mph and there was actually an exit right there, so we were able to pull off. Neither Ryan or I had ever changed a flat tire before but he got down on the road and I stood out in the middle of the exit ramp so that cars would see us when they were getting off the road. I was so afraid they were going to hit Ryan when he was laying down there trying to get the car jacked up! It was a random exit so there wasn't much traffic. It took us about an hour but we did it and were very proud of ourselves!! Did I mention it was FREEZING cold?? Not a lot of fun! This is the final product:

We got back on the road around 7:30am but wanted to stop and have the tire looked at to make sure it was on tight enough. When we were finally back on the road for good, we knew there was no way we were going to make the funeral on time. I knew that Jaime was singing a song at the funeral and Meredith was reading the eulogy so I talked with Sarah on our way there and asked her to stall if at all possible. We got there as quickly as we could and ended up arriving in Middlesboro around 11:35am. We ran in and were able to make it in time for the end of the preachers sermon and to see my grandmother before they closed the casket....she looked BEAUTIFUL! We intended to change before the funeral but didn't want to miss anymore than we had to so we ran in - I was in my comfy car outfit and running shoes and Ryan was in his nice pants and a fleece. I decided that my grandmother wouldn't have minded.

After the funeral ended we went to the graveyard for the burial and then went to a dinner that was hosted by my grandmothers sisters church. I've never seen so much food! After that all the boys went to my cousins house to hang out and all of the girls went to my grandmothers house to watch her favorite movie - O' Brother Where Art Thou.

My uncle Herman (pictured below) runs a Goodyear store up in Middlesboro and he saved the day for the Jag! He gave us 4 new tires so we could get home safely - THANK YOU UNCLE HERMAN!

It was great to get to see all of my siblings, aunts, uncles & cousins - even though the occasion was a sad one. Please continue to pray for my mom & her siblings.
No comments:
Post a Comment